Hyun-Kyung Kim is a Managing Director of the Unification Broadcast Centre, a unit of South Korea’s leading television and radio network MBC focused on reporting on North Korean matters and broader collaborative efforts to build new partnerships with North Korean media organizations.
A veteran journalist of South Korea’s broadcasting industry, Hyun-Kyung Kim has spent the majority of her career reporting on North Korea, a topic upon which she is widely regarded as one of the foremost subject matter experts in Korea. From 1989 to 2018 she hosted the MBC weekly news programme ‘Observatory for Reunification’, one of South Korea’s best-known North Korea-focused productions.
Outside of her broadcasting work, Hyun-Kyung Kim served as a member of Advisory Committees within the South Korean Government including for the Ministry of Unification, the National Security Council, the Chairman of the Parliament, and the Export-Import Bank of Korea.
She achieved a BA in French Literature from Ewha Womens’ University, an MA in Political Science from the Graduate School of North Korean Studies of Kyungnam University, and a PhD in North Korean studies from the University of North Korean Studies.
· 1987 BA. French Litterature / Ewha Womans University
· 2007 MA. Political Science / Graduate School of North Korean Studies of KyungNam University
· 2016 PhD. North Korean Studies/ Univ. of North Korean Studies
· Managing Director, Unification Broadcasting Center (2018~)
· Anchorperson : "Observatory for Unification" (Inter-Korean News Show, MBC TV, Korea, 1989~2015, 2017~2018)
· Editorial Commentator, MBC News (2015~2017)
· Editor/Director, Unification Broadcasting Institute, MBC (2013~2015)
· Reporter, Inter-Korean affairs/ MBC (1994~)
· Announcer, Newscaster/ MBC (1986~1994)
· Member of Inter-Korean Broadcasting Cooperation Promotion Council - Korean Communications Committee (2018~)
· Member of Advisory Committee, The Export-Import Bank of Korea (2016~)
· Member of Advisory Committee, Ministry of Unification (North Korean
Intelligence, Unification Policy, Inter-Korean Dialogue) (2007~2017)
· Member of Advisory Committee, the Chairman of the Parliament (2013~2015)
· Member of Advisory Committee, National Security Council (2005~2006)
North Korean politics, North Korean Policy, Kim Jong Il & Kim Jong Un's leadership & Succession. North Korean Propaganda, Discourse Strategy. Inter-Korean Relation, Reconciliation.